Its Antonio Conte’s successive wins vs Mauricio Pochettino’s unbeaten run. The question is, who will lose out?
Antonio Conte has settled in well. Defeats to Liverpool and Arsenal was turbulence — especially if you are a Chelsea manager. But the Italian tactician has since switched to a 3–5–2 formation. The Blues have not lost since. Chelsea sit at the top of the pack. But whats more impressive is that they haven’t conceded in the last 6 matches. That’s close to 600 minutes of football people! Conte’s unit are one of the most in-form teams in Europe. Tottenham have not won at Stamford Bridge in a long time — 29 in all competitions. The odds favor the Blues to make it 30.
Tottenham are reeling. The midweek Champions league defeat to Monaco has dumped them out of Europe’s premier competition. It was a bitter blow to their season. But Mauricio Pochettino’s side remain the only unbeaten team in English first division football. And they have conceded the least goals — 8.
Harry Kane’s return has boosted Spurs. Last weekend in the thriller against West Ham, it was the captain who dragged his team over the finish line. Can he inspire them at Stamford Bridge?
In the same fixture last year, Chelsea shot down Tottenham’s title challenge. It was a fiery contest. The referee dished out 12 yellow card. Goals, cards, fights, drama. It had everything. Eden Hazard’s late equalizer ensured the game ended 2–2 and thereby shooting down the young Spurs’ title dream. Eventually, Arsenal would pip Pochettino’s team to second place. (Slow clap for Gooners).
Musings on the ‘Battle of the Bridge’
- Chelsea are the in-form team in Europe. No midweek fixtures means they head fresh and prepared into the London derby.
- Can Spurs break their hoodoo at the Bridge? If they can, it will be the perfect response to Champions League elimination.
- London derby without goals? Ha! What are you smoking bro?!
- Can we keep the match under 6 yellow cards? Its too much to ask I suppose.
- Will Harry Kane make a hole in Thibaut Courtois’ wall?
- Can the miserly Spurs’ defense keep Diego Costa from scoring?
- Why is Costa well behaved? Its so un-Costa!
- Entertainment? Definite!